Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Book Review: Conviction (The Consolation Duet #2) by Corinne Michaels


I fell in love with Liam only to be left shattered into a million pieces. Again. The idea of being without him cripples me but the reality is, he’s gone.

He doesn’t understand and I can’t make him.

If only he’d see the conviction behind my words—then he’d still be here.






Conviction is the second (and final book) in The Consolation series. I picked this one up just minutes after I finished the first book because I just had to know how Natalie's story would play out. This is one of those series that I'm glad that the entirety was already out and published because I would have been PISSED if I had to wait.

If you've read the first book, Consolation (and you need to if you want this one to make sense), you'll not be disappointed with this one. But it is different than the first. Not in a bad way, though. Conviction takes on a slower pace. It didn't feel as break-neck as the first. While I enjoyed the speed of the first book, I think that if this one had been as quickly paced, it wouldn't have been nearly as good. The first book needed to be quick ... it paced itself with the thoughts and confusion and everything swirling around what was going on at the time. Conviction is more about finding yourself and figuring out where everything (yourself included) will settle after your world is torn to shreds and then a big leaf blower comes through and blows every bit to kingdom come. I enjoyed the laid-back feel of the writing this time. It gave me a moment to take everything in and let it settle, as it would if it were actually happening. 

The characters were great, of course. There is quite a bit more inner dialogue from the characters than there was last time but that's okay because it is true to the story. There weren't really any new characters to meet in Conviction. Everyone was pretty much in the last book. That's a really great thing because instead of spending pages getting to know someone else, you're able to just dive right into the story and finish the journey that you started with Consolation. 

I've met a new author that I'll stalk for the rest of my reading life. I'm excited that I loved both books in this duet because usually for me with a series, not all of the books in a series live up to the first book because of the expectations of greatness that I put on them. Anyhow, another amazing reading experience that I spent all night on. And I would do it again for Corinne Michaels. In a heartbeat. 



Available Now


No comments:

Post a Comment