Sunday, March 1, 2015

Review: Nobody's Angel (Willow Park #1) by Sarah Hegger


Nine years ago Lucy Flint ran away to Seattle, taking her friend's boyfriend and leaving her high school sweetheart without a word of explanation. Now she's back in Willow Park, Illinois, to help care for her ailing father—and it's no surprise that her ex, Dr. Richard Hunter, is still angry.

Still, she's a different Lucy now. Sober, wiser, ready to make amends to the long—make that very long—list of those she mistreated during her wild younger days. Falling for Richard all over again would mean wreaking havoc in both their lives and possibly squandering her opportunity for redemption. But here, in the place where everything went wrong, is the one person who always felt right, and a second-chance that could be the best mistake she ever made...






Sarah Hegger seems to be a pretty popular author, all of her books are rated relatively high and people have great things to say about her. This is my first jaunt into the Hegger experience and it wasn't very unpleasant. I found that I actually kinda liked what Hegger had going on in this one.

So this is a little story about Lucy. Lucy is a train-wreck. Well, she was and she thinks that she still might be. She was the town drunk, skank, hellion and embarrassment. Then she moves almost across the country, loses her shit over there and then FINALLY the decision to become sober and get her stuff together was thrust upon her. She has been gone from home for nine very long years. She left a trail of heartache, resentment, hatred and loss in her wake when she fled nine years ago, so the decision to come back into the Lucy Disaster Zone wasn't an easy one to make. 

And that's it. That is what this book is about. Well, that's not IT. There are tons of other things that happen and you get to see the rise and fall of a lot of the characters ... which is pretty interesting. While this is a pretty simple premise for a book, I found that the characters were interesting and with quite a depth that I hadn't expected. You get to experience characters at their worst and improve, you get to see characters at their best and implode,  you get to see some characters never change and then there are quite a few that you think are at their worst and then they happen to sink even lower. It was just fascinating to experience, honestly. But then again, I love a super screwed up character. I like seeing the author build them up or break them down ... it's really a sick and twisted problem actually. I just love seeing characters at their worst and then experiencing the hope that they will get better. Anyway ... this book is full of that. 

But. (dun dun duuuunnn). Isn't there almost always a but in there? I found myself skipping paragraphs and skimming pages. As interesting as the story is, I think that there was just a bit of fluff in there. And this is totally personal, there are tons of readers out there who really like all of the extra descriptions and flowery prose ... but I'm not one of them. Now, my skipping/skimming didn't change the story for me. I didn't like it any less because of those issues and that is because the meat of this story is good. It was enough to keep me interested and rate this novel with 4 stars. I would even be willing to read something else by this author. In the end, I really enjoyed immersing myself into the wonderfully screwed up life of Lucy Flint.



Available March 31st, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment