Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Review: New Point by Olivia Luck


Imagine the worst day of your life. Immerse yourself in the details. How did you feel? Who were you with? What were the consequences?

Recalling my darkest day is as simple as typing a few search terms into a web browser. It only took thirty minutes for me to become the center of a media frenzy that caught the attention of an entire country.

So I hid.

Nine months later and I'm getting better. Moved two hours from home, landed my dream job, and met a delicious new guy.

Healing is that simple, right?

Wrong. 






New Point. Oh, New Point. I actually started writing this review several hours ago and I had to step away from it because I don't really know what to say ... there are so many things but then again, there's nothing at all. That doesn't make sense, I know. Okay ... let's see ... first, I didn't NOT like the book. I did like it. It kept me entertained for the most part. So keep that in mind as you peruse the rest of my review ...

I just found it ... cheesy in places. The things that some of the characters would say or what they would do ... it was just eye-roll worthy. That wasn't all the time, just sometimes. Well ... enough times for it to warrant a comment in my review. 

The characters were well written ... mostly. I enjoy a more full background on each character. I would have liked to have heard just ... more. I'm being so incredibly vague, I know. But I don't want to give things away about the plot because it is something that you might want to pick up and how much fun is it if you're told the ending or something pivotal?!? Yeah, it's not. My mom is forever spoiling television shows for me, so I know how that is.

The same issues I had with the characters, I had with the plot at times. I just wanted MORE. There is a thunderstorm scene that I wish was dug into a little bit more because it is a super important part of the story (in my opinion, that is). There were just quite a few times that I felt like it wasn't enough. Scare me! Make me feel the characters emotions! Make me cry or get pissed or terrified or elated ... just make me feel SOMETHING. I think that those kind of heightened emotions connected with a character can help the reader connect with the situation, the character and in turn, the plot. Like that damn Nicholas Sparks. That infuriating man can make me cry in every single novel! I will even pick up one of his novels and think "NOT THIS TIME!!" but it still happens. Every damn time. 

Anyway ... I just felt like this novel had that potential. It could have been really amazing and it just felt short. The ending was even meh ... totally anticlimactic and a bit of a disappointment. Again, I just wanted more. Don't get me all excited about something and then try to wet-noodle it for me. It's not gonna cut it! 

You know, I would be interested in reading something else by Olivia Luck in the future because I think that an amazing novel is on the horizon for her. (In my opinion) She's on this cusp of something super amazing and I want to get my hands on that when it happens. That isn't something that I say lightly ... usually, if a book falls short for me, it's dead to me and the author won't get a second chance but this time, I think an exception is in order. I hope she doesn't disappoint in the future.







No comments:

Post a Comment