Sunday, October 12, 2014

Review: The Scorch Trials (The Maze Runner #2) by James Dashner


Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end.

Thomas was sure that escape from the Maze would mean freedom for him and the Gladers. But WICKED isn’t done yet. Phase Two has just begun. The Scorch.

There are no rules. There is no help. You either make it or you die.

The Gladers have two weeks to cross through the Scorch—the most burned-out section of the world. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them.

Friendships will be tested. Loyalties will be broken. All bets are off.

There are others now. Their survival depends on the Gladers’ destruction—and they’re determined to survive.







I don't really know where to start with this one ... I picked it up immediately after finishing the first novel and I'm glad that they went together completely seamlessly. It was if the book had just continued and there wasn't a different title. This is great for a reader who picks up the whole series after it's complete and doesn't have to wait for each installment. If I had read this when it first came out and then had to wait for the third book, I would be nothing short of pissed. Once again, this one stopped at this massive crossroads and I had to pick up the 3rd book before I even wrote the review for this one because I just had to know what had happened. 

All in all, a good book. I wavered between 3 and 4 stars on this one. It was super exciting and so much stuff going on, so I wasn't bored but I did find myself skipping sentences and paragraphs just because the info wasn't REALLY important and I wanted to get on with the story. I guess you could say it lagged a little for me. Now, this may not be the case with a younger reader. Compared to the age that this book is targeted at, I'm old and I can imagine that younger generations might have more patience for this style of writing. 

I really don't have much else to say ... I can see why this book's rating is lower than the first ... the excitement does taper off a bit but it's still something that will keep your attention and you'll feel the need to pick up the next installment right after you finish it. The characters were great, the author really kept the same feel throughout both novels. The book magic was still the same ... nothing about the characters were changed, the feel of the novel was identical to the first. I think that is hard sometimes with authors. They get the first novel published and then who knows how long of a break there is in between the first and the second and before you know it, the characters just don't read the same between the two. I'm glad that didn't happen this time. 

I don't have any more time for dissecting this one ... I gotta get back to reading the final novel in the series ...The Death Cure!






No comments:

Post a Comment