Friday, October 24, 2014

Review: Do or Die (Reluctant Heroes #1) by Suzanne Brockmann


Navy SEAL Ian Dunn went rogue in a big way when he turned his talents to a lawless life of jewel heists and con jobs. Or so the world has been led to believe. In reality, the former Special Ops warrior is still fighting for good, leading a small band of freelance covert operatives who take care of high-stakes business in highly unofficial ways. That makes Ian the hands-down choice when the U.S. government must breach a heavily guarded embassy and rescue a pair of children kidnapped by their own father, a sinister foreign national willing to turn his kids into casualties. Shockingly, Ian passes on the mission for reasons he will not--or cannot--reveal.
 
But saying no is not an option. Especially not for Phoebe Kruger, Ian's beautiful and unexpectedly brash new attorney. Determined to see the abducted children set free, Phoebe not only gets Ian on board but insists on riding shotgun on his Mission: Impossible-style operation, whether he likes it or not.
 
Though Phoebe has a valuable knack for getting out of tight spots, there's no denying the intensely intimate feelings growing between Ian and Phoebe as the team gears up for combat. But these are feelings they both must fight to control as they face an array of cold-blooded adversaries, including a vindictive mob boss who's got Ian at the top of his hit list and a wealthy psychopath who loves murder as much as he loves money. As they dodge death squads and play lethal games of deception, Ian and Phoebe will do whatever it takes to save the innocent and vanquish the guilty--or die trying.






Suzanne Brockmann is one of my favorite authors, so when Do or Die came up in a giveaway on Goodreads, I jumped on it. With embarrassing quickness. She is just an amazing author. I love how she is so incredibly technical with her spy/military ops and let me tell you, she knows what she's talking about. There has been more than one instance when I asked a Marine friend a question and each time, it turned out that Brockmann was on point. Her novels just have this ... realness ... to them. She is one of those authors who writes novels that become movies in your mind as you read them. 

Anyway ... let's get on with the review of this one. There isn't much to say. It was pretty much perfection. I don't know that I would change anything about it, actually. I know, I know. If that's the case, then why did I give it 4 stars instead of 5, right? Well ... the missing star isn't for anything huge. But since I noted that it was one thing that I would do differently, I thought it warranted a missing star. Guess I should tell you what it is ... I just personally thought that there should have been more Ian and Phoebe. Oh, there was a crap-ton of Ian and Phoebe but after I put down this behemoth of a novel, it was my one regret. The back and forth between these two characters was so amazing that I was just left wanting more. I wanted more of everything, actually. That's a pretty tall order on a novel that is over 600 pages but it's true. 

The story was so fast paced, you didn't realize that you were blowing through page after page. If this novel had been even one page shorter, I would have been pissed!! There wasn't one time that I put this book down and thought, "Dear Lord, stick a fork in it already!!". I found myself getting more and more exciting the further I dove into this thing. 

All in all, amazing novel. It is one that I know I'll find myself reading again at a later date and I know that I'll be picking up the next novel in this new series. So great. Oh ... and if you've already read some of the Troubleshooters series by Brockmann ... you'll enjoy this one. This is intended to be a spin-off but I think that it's making its own mark and shouldn't be compared. It's a different series with a different feel but that's good!!







No comments:

Post a Comment