Sunday, September 14, 2014

Review: Friday Night Alibi by Cassie Mae


In the wealthy town of Sundale, Kelli Pinkins has hatched the perfect plan to capitalize on her sweet reputation. For a generous fee, she will be every trust-fund baby’s dream: a Friday-night alibi, the “girlfriend” or “BFF” that parents dream about. With college approaching in the fall, Kelli’s services are in demand more than ever, which means that her social life is nonexistent. But Kelli is A-okay with that. She’s raking in cash for school. Besides, relationships are tricky, and sometimes very messy. She’d rather be at home on Xbox LIVE, anyway. Then the unexpected happens: She meets college stud Chase Maroney.

Chase isn’t like the preppy, privileged guys Kelli usually meets in Sundale. For starters, he’s twenty-something, always wears black., and he shoots back one-liners as fast as she can dish them out. But Kelli’s attempts to drive Chase away falter when she realizes that he treats her like he really knows her, like he cares about knowing her. When Kelli finally gives in to the delicious kiss she’s been fighting for so long, she faces a tough decision: make Chase a real-life boyfriend and risk her heart . . . or keep her clients and lose her first true love.







I thought that this novel looked cute when I picked it up and it turned out that I would be right! It was very cute. Almost to the point of being too much cute ... you know? There is a fine sickeningly-cute line that this book coasted on top of most of the time but it never quite crossed that for me. 

Right out of the gate, this was a funny book. I found myself literally laughing out loud. Most of the time, an author can get a chuckle or a smirk out of me but a full laugh? I can count on one hand  how many times that has happened. This was just hilarious in spots. Two words: Tennis. Ball. That part in the book had me rolling!! I won't lie, I read it a couple of times because I thought maybe I misread it but that wasn't the case ... it was just funny. 

The main character, Kelli is super spunky and feisty. She actually reminds me a lot of myself when I'm giving my husband a hard time - which happens to be one of my favorite activities. There are a lot of people saying that this book read more on the immature side ... I got that a little bit but not to the extent that others did. I actually enjoyed how Kelli and Chase picked on each other and I didn't think that the nicknames that everyone is talking about were too much either ... I found it cute and endearing. But that's just me. I enjoyed this novel more than I thought that I would once I picked it up. It's an effortless read that is a great getaway. 

All of that being said ... Is this a good book? Yes. Would I read this book again? Probably. BUT. Geez ... I almost stopped reading the book because of one word that kept recurring over and over and over AND OVER again. I thought that it was annoying and if it weren't for the tennis ball thing in the beginning, I totally would have given up on this book. I know this probably sounds crazy ... lots of words get repeated over and over but this one was used as a description every 4,587,545.9 times it was said in the book and I just think that even a teenage girl would be able to come up with one other word to use and break up this craziness just a little bit. The descriptive word of the day (that if I ever see used like this in another book, I will totally lose my shit) is: POPCORN. I don't know if I can ever go to the movies again. This book has totally ruined popcorn for me. Totally.








No comments:

Post a Comment