Monday, August 4, 2014

Review: Whatcha Gonna Do With a Cowboy: A Deputy Laney Briggs Novella by Jodi Linton


In her latest adventure, sassy Deputy Laney Briggs discovers the local high school football coach passed out under the stadium bleachers wearing nothing but a smile…and his wife’s lingerie.

Things really start to get wild when she runs into the smoking hot Federal Marshal, Colt Larsen, snooping around the Granger’s house. Quicker than a cold snap comes and goes in Texas, Laney finds herself up to her eyeballs in a case involving a ruthless motorcycle gang, a Mexican drug cartel, a kidnapping, and a shoot-out to rival the O.K. Corral.

In over their heads, Laney calls in the big guns—her very own Texas Ranger, Gunner Wilson, who’s ready to fulfill every last one of her desires. But as things heat up between them, the stakes get higher than ever, and Gunner’s help may not be enough for Laney to get out alive…






This is my second Jodi Linton novel and it's actually the follow-up novel to the first one I read. Let's just get all of the facts out of the way before I start in on the nitty-gritty. It's really well written. Which shouldn't surprise me since the first novel in this series was as well. There weren't any fluff paragraphs, everything written on these pages pertains to the story. I didn't find myself skimming or skipping because of the quick pace of the storyline. It wasn't so quick that you are left wanting more, Linton does a great job of making everything relevant to her novel.

Let's see ... the last Linton novel that I read, I had a hard time keeping up with the copious amounts of characters but this time, I didn't. That could be because I remembered most of them from the previous novel or it could just be because there aren't as many characters this time. I don't really know which but I didn't feel overwhelmed like I did last time, so I thought it was worth mentioning. 

Now onto the good stuff ... okay, where to start ... I'm beginning to understand that no matter what I read from this author, I'll be entertained. Everything is either funny or gripping or steamy in this book. You really don't have time to sit back and relax because you have to bob and weave with the quick jabs of plot twists or Laney (the main character) antics. That's one of the amazing things about this series - it keeps you on your toes. Just when you think the main character has exhausted her repertoire of witty quips, she's tossing another one at some unsuspecting victim and it's like you're off to the races again! 

This time, I was a bit surprised with the ending, I know that last time I was able to pick out the bad guy from pretty much the very beginning but this time, it took me a while longer. It was nice - especially since I was guiltily expecting it to be easy again. But that's it! Cute little novella to add to the Laney Briggs saga and if you haven't read the first novel, I think that's okay! Go ahead and try this out (on August 18th, when it's released) and see what you think. When you get a dozen pages in, you'll be ready to crack open the first in the series! 








 

No comments:

Post a Comment