Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Review: Deadly Fantasies (Detective Kate Springer Mysteries #2) by Kelly Miller


Summary
A ringing phone at 1:17 am is never a good thing, but Homicide Detective Kate Springer doesn't have the luxury of ignoring the call. On the other end of the line, a confessor admits to murdering her husband. Dr. Nina Grace needs help, and Kate knows it's time to repay a debt. No matter the consequences, Kate must fight to keep the investigation from solely focusing on her friend.

Jonathan Grace controls the people in his life like he does his business-with a chokehold. His insatiable appetite for living life on the edge leads him to a club where he's encouraged to act out his darkest desires. But what happens when one man's fantasy becomes another's nightmare?

Did Dr. Nina Grace kill her husband or did Jonathan's secret life lead to his death? Detective Springer knows that no matter what her friend admitted, she couldn't be capable of the horrific torture and murder of her husband. But will Kate's blind loyalty be her downfall?



Rating
 



Review
I've never had such an easy time rating a book. I knew that this was going to be a 5-star rating from just the first page. Immediately, Deadly Fantasies grabs you by the seat of the pants and takes you on a wild journey. Well, maybe not grabs you by the seat of the pants. That sounds a bit weird ... especially coupled with my saying it takes you on a wild journey. Okay ... starting over ... I don't know ... it's a thrill ride. You are completely sucked into this novel from the first page. I have read tons of mysteries. Tons. Truckloads. My favorite thriller authors are Erica Spindler and Karin Slaughter. I adore these two ladies and everything that they create. I have some other authors that I like a lot but nothing like those two. In my mind, no one can tell a story like they do. Well ... until now.

I don't think that I'm one of those readers that is easily impressed. I'm pretty hard on anything that I read. I pick it apart, page by page. I'm sure I am more harsh than other reviewers but it's because my love of books is pretty serious to me. Reviewing a book is nothing that I take lightly. I'm sharing my thoughts and recommending these books (or not recommending) to everyone that I know and I don't want to push someone to read something that was just ... meh. I'm not going to endorse something I don't like.

Anyhow ... at one point, I honestly wondered if maybe Kelly Miller was just a new pen name. For this to only be her second book ... it's really quite amazing. This lady has talent. She is definitely going to be a name that you hear about more and more in the coming years. 

Okay ... maybe I should get to the review. Well ... I really don't have one. I tried to find a flaw in the characters, the plot, the descriptions, the research, the conversations and I couldn't find one thing. Well, that's a lie. There was one spelling error but that was literally it. The characters were well thought out and they read like they were actual people, the plot was twisty-turny (yes, it's totally a word) and filled with multiple (VERY unexpected) surprises, the descriptions were the perfect combination of descriptive but not too over the top and boring, the research ... dude ... I think I might be able to run my own police investigations after this and finally the conversations ... they were so realistic - I didn't find them weird or stilted or unnatural at all. There weren't any lags in the plot, things ran very smoothly. I didn't find myself skimming just to get to the good stuff because EVERYTHING was the good stuff. I did find myself trying to speed read because I just had to know what was going on. I had to force myself to take breaks from reading so that I didn't just devour this whole novel in one day. You only get that First-Read-Magic once ... you know what I'm talking about - the first time you read a really amazing novel and all of the surprises make you gasp ... anyway, you only get that first read once and I really didn't want to waste it because I was being a gluttonous reader. And my gosh, the ending. Holy crap, it really came out of no where. No. Where. I wish I could read it again and get that shocker at the end.

Now, it is the second in a series but I haven't had the privilege of reading the first one yet and I think that this could actually stand alone if you want to pick this one up first (which I totally recommend). Basically, get this novel. Go get it right now.



Find Deadly Fantasies here:


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment