Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Review: The Find by Gregg Bell


Summary
What can a mother do when she has no money and a dangerously sick kid?

She can make a mistake.

In a moment of desperation, cleaning lady Phoebe Jackson tries to pawn the diamond-bejeweled Rolex she found in a mobster’s locker. Turns out the watch is a fake, but the mobster isn’t—and he’s on to her.



Rating



Review
When I was approached to read The Find, I was intrigued. What would I do if I didn't have any money and one of our boys was sick? Would I do something out of character and risk everything? Absolutely. No questions asked. I knew I needed to read this one and find out if the main character, Phoebe, would do the same thing. 

The premise of The Find was interesting and for the most part, I enjoyed it. Everything that was happening on the pages was exciting, there's no doubt about that but sometimes, the story would just take a long, meandering loop around the action rather than just a straight shot. Now, this is fine sometimes, but I want things to surprise me. I want some of the action to happen so fast that my head spins! I think that it just needed to be a bit more direct at times.

The main character, Phoebe, was a bit of a conundrum for me. I mean, you know that she loves her girls but sometimes, she felt a bit detached from them. Her interactions with them were just not as heartfelt as I thought that they should be at times. And then when you get further into the story, there are times when she is this timid little mouse and then in the next breath, she's got this big brass pair and she's ready to take on the world. The shifts in her character were almost polar at times and for me, it read as disingenuous. 

You know, the ending really made me enjoy the book that much more. The last portion of the book redeemed the novel for me (even though I still didn't get Phoebe) and made all the difference in the world. It was interesting, exciting, gripping and a bit romantic. I'm excited to see what else this author has in store for the future. 



Find The Find here:

No comments:

Post a Comment