Sunday, March 30, 2014

Review: Before I Wake by C.L. Taylor

 
 
Summary
A mother risks everything to uncover the truth behind her daughter's botched suicide attempt

To the outside world, Susan Jackson has it all-a loving family, successful husband, and beautiful home-but when Charlotte, her teenage daughter, steps in front of a bus and ends up in a coma, she is forced to question all of it.

Desperate to find out what caused Charlotte's suicide attempt, she discovers a horrifying entry in her diary: "keeping this secret is killing me." As Sue spins in desperate circles, she finds herself immersed in a dark world she didn't know existed-and the closer she comes to the truth, the more dangerous things become.

Can she wake up from the nightmares that haunt her and save her daughter, or will Charlotte's secret destroy them both?
 
 
 
Rating & Review
When I read the blurb for this book, I was really intrigued. It sounded interesting and unlike anything that I had read recently ... I thought that it would be a home run for me. But unfortunately, it wasn't. I'm not totally for sure that I read half of the book. I mean, I made it to the end but I had skipped so many paragraphs, so many pages that I honestly don't think I read even half of the pages. 

I found the book to be a little ... long winded. To put it simply, I just got bored with the long descriptions, the conversations, the situations. From the very beginning, I was not dragged into the story. I wasn't swept up in the drama of this young girls' life as her family sat beside her hospital bed. The suicide attempt really took a backseat to Sue and her past relationship. I would have thought that the daughter and her plight would have been in the forefront but it really wasn't. 

Then you have the flashbacks. I'm all for a couple of flashbacks in a book. I think that it can really lend to the dramatics of the situation at hand or the trouble that the characters are going through but it just didn't read like that this time. It slowed the story down even more and when the story is moving with the speed of molasses to begin with ... it was not a good situation at all. 
 
All in all, it wasn't a bad book ... it was just a bad book for me. It might be the perfect book for someone else. I need something a little faster paced, is all. 
 
 
 
Find Before I Wake here:


No comments:

Post a Comment