Friday, February 28, 2014

Review: Forbidden (The Soulkeepers #1)

Summary
When Sophia St. James learns that she’ll be moving from Los Angeles to a podunk town somewhere in Connecticut for her senior year of high school, she isn’t expecting an otherworldly encounter. But there is more to Haven Hurst than meets the eye: it’s home to a family of Guardian Angels, and she is the only one who can see them in spirit form. Sophia soon realizes she wants to see much more of Michael, an irresistible yet volatile Guardian who seems drawn to her too.

As Michael battles his forbidden desire for the beautiful young newcomer, one of Hell’s most notorious Demon Knights arrives. Handsome and charismatic, Dante has come to claim the reincarnated soul of his lost lover trapped in Sophia. Cursed with the demon of Persuasion living inside him, Dante will use his seductive charms to lure Sophia into a dangerous game that ends with the kiss of death—unless Michael, who has captured Sophia’s heart, can now capture her soul.




Rating & Review
I was super excited about this one because one of my best girlfriends really enjoyed this book and we hardly ever have a differing opinion on books. Well, we had a differing opinion on this book. I like the whole angels vs. demons thing ... I've read a few series based on this and it's pretty intriguing. Reading the blurb on this one made me bump it to the top of my To-Read list. A girl moving to a podunk town with her dad where there was a paranormal family living and she's the only one who can sense something is different about them ... hmm ... that sounds VAGUELY familiar ... well even though I hoped that there was no one sparkly in this book, I was really excited to dive into it. 

I just had a really hard time getting into this one. And I shouldn't have. It was a really interesting read right from the beginning. But even though it was interesting ... I just couldn't attach myself to the story. Some of the jokes were super corny ... I really wasn't expecting that in a New Adult novel. It was almost elementary humor. I found myself rolling my eyes instead of doubled over in laughter and that was a bit of a let down. And every time I read the word "eh-hole", I got a little closer to slamming a hammer into my Kindle. I know that this is a book about teenagers so the whole teenage vernacular shouldn't have been surprising and it wasn't ... but combined with the weird spellings, it was just over the top and just ... too much. Way too much.

Now, I HATE it when a reviewer bases their rating of a book on how much a book resembles another one. Like similarities between two series and stuff. Sometimes they just seem similar. Sometimes they just ARE similar. Come on, it happens. Everyone is influenced by something. Anyhow, I try to not base my rating on my thoughts of another book. That being said, I feel totally confident saying this since I haven't read the book that I'm going to mention right now. And don't start shaking your head and wondering how I became a book blogger without reading this series, I just did. To this day, I still don't know why I haven't read it. Derailment. Crap. Okay. In this book there is a scar. It is in a location that is similar to a wildly popular series. Granted, it's not in the shape of a lightning bolt but the placement is eerily close - ESPECIALLY considering that one of the characters last name in this book is Patronus. Hell, I can't hear that word and not think of a damn deer. It didn't make me not like the book, it was just this irritating bug flitting around while I was reading.

I've never really read a book that has as many metaphors and similes in it. You know, when I noted the metaphor thing, I really started to question why seeing so many of them bothered me and I can't give you an honest opinion as to why. It kind of reminded me of long car rides with our two boys. Man, I think that the boys scheme ahead of time and make a bet on how many times they can kick the back of our seats before I have a meltdown. Maybe that's what the metaphors were. Just the 431st kick to the back of my seat.

In any case, my friend loved this book and she has pretty good taste ... look at who her friend is! So you should give it a try and maybe you've just been introduced to your new favorite series!



Find Forbidden here:

No comments:

Post a Comment